Monday, March 7, 2016

Chicken Pot Pie


AFFILIATE NOTICE


This blog participates in various forms of advertising,including affiliate marketing. Thank you for your support.


This is one of our favorite comfort foods!  I was really never a fan of pot pies as a kid.  Even today I do not like frozen pot pies but this homemade pot pie is terrific.



Well, almost homemade.  I still have not tackled making my own pie crust yet :)  I used chicken thighs instead of my usual chicken breast.  I have been buying boneless and skinless chicken thighs lately.  I love the flavor the thighs add to my casseroles.  I boil the thighs in water with chicken broth paste.  Oh this makes the best broth.  I used that broth to cook my carrots, onion and celery until tender.



This makes for an easy supper to send back to college with Cally.  All she has to do is assemble it and bake.  A dish to remind her of her momma back at home.


Chicken Pot Pie

4 stalks celery,  diced
1/2 pound baby carrots
3/4 cup onion, diced
1 1/2 cups water

2 teaspoons chicken broth paste
3/4 cup frozen corn
3/4 cup frozen peas
1 cup shredded chicken
10 1/2 ounce can  Cream of Chicken Soup
1 box refrigerated pie crust (2 crusts)

Place water, chicken broth paste, celery, carrots, and onion in a pot and bring to boil.  Continue to simmer until veggies are soft.  Drain out veggies and chop carrots to bite size pieces.  (Discard broth or keep for another use, such as soup).

Preheat oven to 425 degrees

In a bowl mix together the cooked veggies, corn, peas, chicken and soup together until well coated. 

Put 1 pie crust in the bottom of a pie plate.  Pour pot pie mixture into the crust.  Top this with the other crust and pinch sides to seal.  Cut slits in the top of the crust so that the pot pie can vent while baking.  Bake in a 425 degree oven for 30 minutes.