Monday, November 2, 2015

Pumpkin Pudding .... Crustless Pumpkin Pie


AFFILIATE NOTICE


This blog participates in various forms of advertising,including affiliate marketing. Thank you for your support.


Oh boy I think I like this better than traditional pumpkin pie!  It was also a whole lot easier to make.



I made my Pumpkin Pudding in my slow cooker.  This will come in handy at Thanksgiving and Christmas when the oven is full of other goodies.  It mixes together pretty much like regular pumpkin pie except instead of pouring pie filling into a crust you pour it into pudding cups/ramekins.




I forgot to take a picture before I baked the pudding but here is one right after I took the lid off the slow cooker.  As you can see I double layered mine.  I use a throw away tin pan that fits down in my slow cooker.  I sit the pan on top of the dishes on the bottom layer.  The only problem I had was the filling expanded and it had over flowed out of the tops of the bottom layer.  It did not hurt anything as they still tasted the same.


One thing I would do different next time is as soon as I take them out of the crock pot is to put plastic wrap down on top of the pudding to keep it from drying out.  I put mine in the refrigerator lightly covered and the tops of the pudding pulled away from the sides of my dishes a bit.  Of course if you garnish them with whipping cream as I did no one knows.


Pumpkin Pudding

3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
2 eggs
15 ounce can pumpkin
12 ounce can evaporated milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 Tablespoon butter

In a small bowl mix together the flour, baking powder and salt.  Cut in the cold butter with a pastry blender or fork.  Mix until the butter is in tiny pieces.  set aside

In a mixing bowl place the sugar, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, allspice, nutmeg, eggs, vanilla and pumpkin. Mix until well combined.

Now add in the flour mixture, beat slowly as you pour in the evaporated milk.  Mix well until everything is combined.  The mixture will appear lumpy and that is ok.  It is the butter that will be floating in the pudding.  After the pudding is done baking the butter will have melted into the pudding making it extra yummy!

Pour pudding into baking dishes.  I used 6 (6 ounce each) dishes for mine.  I then double layered them in my slow cooker. Pour some water into the slow cooker about an inch up the side of your dishes.  This helps steam bath the pudding as it bakes and helps it not to crack.  I cooked them on low for 3 hours.  Of course your cooking time could change if you use different size dishes for your pudding.  You will be able to tell when it is done.  It bakes up just like pumpkin pie does.  The filling will be set when it is done baking.

You can find this recipe partying at: Gooseberry Patch