Saturday, December 27, 2014

Sea Salted Soft Caramels


AFFILIATE NOTICE


This blog participates in various forms of advertising,including affiliate marketing. Thank you for your support.

I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas!  Mine was perfect!  I was blessed to have both of my kids home with me celebrating the birth of Christ.  I am still behind on posting some of my Christmas goodies.  I have still been under the weather.  Whatever I have caught has now been hanging on for over 3 weeks now...ugh!  Hopefully I am seeing light at the end of the tunnel now.



I have never made soft caramel candy before.  It is one of my favorites but it has always intimidated me.  It taste so good certainly it is hard to make.....nope it was super easy.  My caramels are pretty soft not as chewy as I have had in the past.  But the buttery goodness is awesome!

I was looking around on the web and found this recipe that caught my eye.  Easy 4 Ingredient Soft Caramels (No Thermometer required)  Wow how much easier could that be???  I do not even have to worry about soft ball stage or anything.  So I decided to try.  It was really just as it said EASY!

The only problem I had was when I went to take them out of the pan to cut them.  Mine were really stuck to the foil.  My solution was to put them in the freezer to firm them up and then I was able to peel the foil off of the caramels.  I am wondering if wax paper would be better next time to help keep the stickiness to a minimum.

It is optional to sprinkle them with the sea salt.  But the flavor is HEAVENLY .  You get the sweet buttery flavor with a hint of saltiness...YUMMY!



Easy 4 Ingredient Soft Caramels (No Thermometer required)
Creme de la Crumb (click on the link to visit this blog, lots of wonderful recipes)

1 1/2 sticks butter
1/2 Cup sugar
3 Tablespoon light corn syrup
14 oz sweetened condensed milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
coarse sea salt, optional

In medium sauce pan add butter and sugar.  Stir over medium heat until melted.  Stir in corn syrup and condensed milk.

Bring to a boil and then decrease to simmer 7-10 minutes (I did 10 min) or until mixture is a golden brown color, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat and add vanilla.

Pour caramel into a foil lined 8x8 inch pan and allow to cool completely.  Sprinkle with coarse sea salt if desired.

When completely cooled, cut into squares and wrap in wax paper.


You might also like... click picture or link for recipe