Thursday, April 4, 2013

Vanilla Caramel Coffee Creamer


AFFILIATE NOTICE


This blog participates in various forms of advertising,including affiliate marketing. Thank you for your support.

We were in Portsmouth with Cally on Wednesday.  Cally was inducted into the National Honor Society, Phi Eta Sigma.  We attended her ceremony and then stayed the night in Portsmouth.  It was nice to get to visit with Cally during the week.

I made a different flavor of Coffee Creamer tonight.  This one is similar to my Vanilla Bean Coffee Creamer, except I added 2 T caramel.  The recipe on Mrshappyhomemaker.com says to use caramel ice cream topping.  I used my homemade ice cream topping.  This caramel is super easy to make.  Take 1 can sweetened condensed milk (14oz) with the paper label removed off of the can.  Put the can into a pan and cover with water.  Bring to a boil and then simmer the can of milk for 2 1/2 hours.  Take out of pan and let cool to room temperature (opening can while hot may make it explode).  When you open it is you will find a can of caramel.  If you make this you will never buy ready made ice cream caramel topping again.  It is so delicious.  I again made my own sweetened condensed milk using my splenda blend.


Homemade Sweetened Condensed Milk
source: adapted from All Recipes

3/4 C boiling water
6 T butter, softened
1/2 C Splenda Blend (if using regular sugar use 1 C )
2 2/3 C nonfat dry milk powder

Combine water, butter, Splenda (or sugar) and milk powder.  Blend until thickened, 2 minutes.  Store in refrigerator.

Homemade Vanilla Bean Coffee Creamer
source: adapted from Mrs Happy Homemaker

1 recipe of the homemade sweetened condensed milk from above (if using store bought 1 14oz can)
1 3/4 C Milk or Cream ( I used half and half)
2 t vanilla
seeds from 1 vanilla bean (cut open bean and scrape out the seeds with a knife and put in mixture)
2 T caramel ice cream topping

Mix all together.  I made the sweetened condensed milk in my blender and when I was done making the milk I just added all these other ingredients and blended well.  Keep in refrigerator.  I am not sure how long it will keep but I am guessing if you use fresh cream/half and half/milk then it would be good for 2 weeks.