Sunday, January 27, 2013

Pan-Fried Ravioli in Tomato-Vodka Cream Sauce


AFFILIATE NOTICE


This blog participates in various forms of advertising,including affiliate marketing. Thank you for your support.

I have been trying to promote my blog a little bit more by getting some of my post out on blog hops.  It is working out well as I have gone over 10,000 page views!!!  I have gone from around 700 monthly views to almost 3000 page views last month...thanks to all my blog hop friends!


My Strawberry Champagne Cake placed as a runner up in the Spiked Recipe Challenge.  


On Gooseberry Patch blog this week I entered Lemon Blueberry Pancakes and Broccoli Potato Soup in their blog hop for Meatless Meals. Out of 112 recipes I ended up with both of mine in the top 10.  Thanks everyone who voted for me!   You can check out the top 10 by clicking here.

While browsing through the grocery ad this week and writing out my list, I came across Progresso Recipe Starters.  This got my curiosity up as to what you could make with this can of sauce.  I Google it and found that Progresso has a web page filled with recipes to use with these starters.  Click here to go to the Progresso Recipe Starter recipe page. There are 5 different flavors and I chose Fire Roasted Tomato and Creamy Parmesan  Basil.  


After looking through the recipes I decided on this Pan-Fried Ravioli in Tomato-Vodka Cream Sauce.  It just sounded so rich and elegant.  It was super easy to make and tasted like it would have taken a lot of time to prepare.  The Fire Roasted Tomato Cream Sauce reminded me of a Roasted Tomato soup that Bill had a few weeks ago in our new favorite Italian Restaurant.  Cafe Paradiso which is located in Urbana, Ohio right on the center square.It is a neat small restaurant were everything is made when you order.  If you are ever in the small country town of Urbana, Ohio stop by Cafe Paradiso and you will not be disappointed.

The only thing I did different than what the recipe stated was that I grated my garlic instead of finely chopping it.  Oh the smell of the grated garlic hitting the hot oil in my skillet was divine.

Pan-Fried Ravioli in Tomato-Vodka Cream Sauce
source: Progresso Recipe Starters 

1 bag (25 oz) frozen beef filled ravioli
2 cloves garlic, grated
1 can (18oz) Progresso Recipe Starters, Fire Roasted Tomato Cooking Sauce
2 T vodka
1/4 C whipping cream
Garnish if desired with Parmesan Cheese

In 6 quart Dutch oven, heat 4 quarts water to boil.  Add ravioli.  Cook 3 minutes and drain.  
In 12 inch skillet, heat 1 1/2 T extra virgin olive oil over medium heat.  Add half of the drained ravioli in single layer cooking 4 to 6 minutes, turning once, until golden brown (mine did not get brown but I could tell they were fried by the dry looking color they became)  Remove to a platter; cover to keep warm.  Repeat with another 1 1/2 T extra virgin olive oil and remaining ravioli.  Remove to platter and cover to keep warm.  
To the same skillet add 1 T oil and the grated garlic.  Cook over medium heat for 30 to 60 seconds, stirring constantly, until garlic is tender.  Carefully stir in cooking sauce and vodka, heat to boiling.  Reduce heat to low and whisk in the cream.  Cook 1 to 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until hot.
Pour sauce over ravioli and sprinkle with cheese.