Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Vanilla Popcorn


AFFILIATE NOTICE


This blog participates in various forms of advertising,including affiliate marketing. Thank you for your support.

Tonight I made Vanilla Popcorn.  I have never made any flavored popcorn or popcorn balls before so was unsure how difficult it was going to be.  It was not difficult at all.  I am planning on making this for the holidays.  I saw the Vanilla Popcorn on the blog Read it and Eat.  I adapted her recipe a little bit.  She puts her sugar mixture in the microwave instead of on the stove.  She also says that you do not have to bake your vanilla popcorn but if you do not it is chewy instead of crunchy.  I prefer crunchy.  I think next time I will also add peanuts to mine.  Bill and I have decided once you start eating it that it is hard to stop.  It is so yummy!


Vanilla Popcorn
adapted from Read it and Eat


12 cups popped popcorn (about 1/2 C kernels)  
1 cup white granulated sugar
 
1/4 cup white corn syrup
 
1/2 tsp salt 

1 stick real butter

1/2 tsp baking soda
 
1 tsp vanilla

Pop popcorn and put the popcorn in the biggest bowl you have.

Place sugar, corn syrup, salt, and butter in a pan and melt over medium heat.  Stirring constantly stir until mixture begins to boil.  Remove from heat and add baking soda and vanilla.   Stir until it starts to foam a little bit, and gets thick. Pour over popcorn. Mix well with a big spoon.

Spread the popcorn out on a cookie sheet or two.  Bake at 300 degrees for about 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.