Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Pumpkin Bread


AFFILIATE NOTICE


This blog participates in various forms of advertising,including affiliate marketing. Thank you for your support.


Fall is in the air.... and I am loving it !  Fall is my favorite season.  I love it cool in the morning and warmer in the afternoon.  


Last week Bill and I attend a Road to Victory Concert for Romney/Ryan. I have not been to a political event like this before.  It was very exciting.  Rodney Atkins put on a heck of a show and sang for over an hour.  I am excited about the election but also getting really anxious for all the commercials to be done. 



This pumpkin bread recipe comes from one of my favorite cookbooks.  It is one from a local church and all the recipes have the name of the church member that submitted it.  I just love old cookbooks like these. 


I bought some whole nutmeg when I was in Amish country last week.  It smells so good when I grate my nutmeg for this recipe.  I don't think I will go back to ground nutmeg.


Pumpkin Bread
Jean Graham, Asbury United Methodist Church, North Hampton OH
recipe slightly adapted

No. 1
4 eggs
1 C oil
3 1/3 C sugar

No. 2
3 1/3 C flour
1 1/2 t salt
2 t soda
1 t cinnamon
1 t nutmeg
1/2 t ground cloves
1 t allspice

No. 3
2 C pumpkin
2/3 C water

Mix No. 1.  add No. 2 beating alternately with the 2/3 C water and then beat in the rest of No. 3.  Grease and flour 2 loaf pans and divide batter between the pans.  Bake in 350 degree oven for 1 hour or until the bread tests done in the middle.

I did my bread in a 9 X 13 baking pan and I think I baked it for 1 hour.  I started with 45 minutes and then just kept checking it every 5 minutes until the center was firm and tested done when I inserted a knife in the middle.