Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Emma's Pound Cake


AFFILIATE NOTICE


This blog participates in various forms of advertising,including affiliate marketing. Thank you for your support.

This is a special recipe.  It is named Emma's because it was given to my Grandma Sweeney by her housekeeper Emma.  I received the recipe from my mom.  I asked mom how old this recipe would be and she thinks Emma gave it to grandma in the 1950's..... no wonder it is good, butter, 6 large eggs, vanilla extract, almond extract and sour cream, oh my!  Old fashion passed down through the generations wonderfully delicious!

I did add a vanilla bean glaze to the cake which was not part of the original recipe.  I used my vanilla bean paste but you can use vanilla extract.

I have been busy baking tonight, I have a surprise for the soup kitchen tomorrow night, I made them sunsational cakes.  I made Strawberry, Orange and Cherry.

Emma's Pound Cake

1 Cup softened butter
3 Cup sugar
6 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 Cups flour
1/4 teaspoon soda
8 ounces sour cream
1 teaspoon almond extract

glaze

1/2 Cup powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons melted butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
1 Tablespoon water

Beat butter at medium speed about 2 minutes or until soft and creamy.  Gradually add sugar beating at medium speed 5 to 7 minutes.  Add eggs one at a time, beat just until yellow disappears.  Combine flour and soda.  Add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream.  Stir in flavorings.  Pour into greased and floured 10 inch tube pan ( I used a bundt pan )  Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until pick comes out clean.  Cool in pan on wire rack 10 to 15 minutes, remove from pan and let cool completely on wire rack.

for glaze:
Mix all glaze ingredients and then pour over the cake.


I like my cake with a scoop of drumstick ice cream.  Bill and Billy ate theirs with strawberries on top.